Ledbury Tanks for Certas Energy’s new oil distribution depot in Yelland
Certas Energy, the UK’s largest independent oil distribution group has now opened their new state of the art facility on the Taw river estuary, at Yelland. As part of a national group, the depot supplies fuel for various market sectors; domestic and commercial heating, power generation plant, diesel and gas oil for commercial transport, construction and agricultural machinery.
Situated within a rural setting, the new depot has a low profile design based on seven horizontal storage tanks, supplied by Ledbury Welding & Engineering. Certas look not only for the best price but the highest quality, which Ledbury Welding were best placed to provide for this contract.
“Ledbury are widely recognised within the industry as a name synonymous with quality of manufacture, this was key for us to ensure longevity of our installation.” explains project manager, Neil Rimmer
The development site was formerly a sea side oil terminal which has been demolished and regenerated by owners, Certas Energy, in a £1Million pound plus investment project.
All of the previous terminal infrastructure, the vertical tanks, loading gantries and jetty pipework has been removed and replaced by a new facility, meeting all the latest requirements for safety, the protection of the environment and ensuring a reliable and quality supply of product to the area for many years to come. The project was managed by Certas Energy in conjunction with Trident Engineering Consultants.
“We work closely with Trident who provide us with the specialist expertise we need throughout the project, from front end studies and engineering design, through to testing and commissioning,” adds Neil.
Other key elements include:
- Demolition work
- Civil and building works. This work covered the yard resurfacing, drainage, concrete foundations for the tanks and the refurbishment of the administration office block.
- Pipework and mechanical engineering
- Electricals and controls integration. This package involved the installation of high level (filling) alarms and auto-closure to prevent any spillage whilst loading fresh supplies.
- Specialist loading equipment .This equipment provides the tanker connections for replenishment supplies and customer service vehicles.
- Electronic gauging and wet-stock management systems.
Neil Rimmer continues. “With so many different disciplines involved, careful planning is required to ensure the work proceeds smoothly on a step by step basis, and ensuring that nothing conflicts and each stage is completed on time.”
“ Health and Safety is our top priority and I was pleased that we achieved the aims of the project accident and incident free and without adverse affect to the environment”
In operation, the on site team are responsible for quality and formally accepting all fresh deliveries. Fuel quality is paramount and stock is filtered both on loading and discharge to customer service tankers. The tanks are fitted with electronic gauging systems and on-line monitoring. This feeds to a web-based dashboard showing current stock levels and projected re-order requirements. The information from Yelland is also available to the group’s national stock team. They have an overall picture showing all the Certas Energy depots across the country. This allows them to monitor and anticipate demand, ensuring efficiency in supply.
Certas Energy has grown by acquisition into a nationwide company, but puts local communities and values at the heart of its operation, maintaining and improving the local, reliable and quality service that customers have come to expect.
“Customer loyalty is very important and our experienced local management teams enable us to preserve local service values whilst supporting this with the resources of a national group” says Neil Rimmer. “Plus with our resource and wealth of experience we can take on special projects. If a customer has a particular requirement we can provide assistance and support, working with the customer and our industry partners to develop tailored solutions as required”.
- Growing haulage firm invests in depot fuelling facilities
- Fuel storage upgrade for East Midlands waste recycling firm
- Car Parts distributor brings its transport fuelling in-house
- Why above ground fuel storage is cost effective
- Marking LWE’s long standing relationship with Stagecoach UK.
- Scaling up fuel storage capacity for a smoother ride on costs.
- Fuelling the big green parcel machine
- Ledbury Tanks for Certas Energy’s new oil distribution depot in Yelland
- Network for recycling waste from forecourt miss-fuelling is based on LWE’s SuperVault, above ground storage tanks
- Lockwood Group upgrades its HQ depot fuelling services.
- Fuel recycling pays back for Arnold Clark’s Car & Van Rental operations
- Fuelling efficiencies at Springhill Farms.
- Contract work to upgrade depot fuelling facilities
- Waitrose HQ transport fuelling facilities
- Abergavenny Fuels
© Copyright 2021. Ledbury Welding & Engineering